Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Eat crow... if prepared well.


Amateur blogging lesson No. 447:

Don't insult people by name in this era of Google alerts. Especially if they don't deserve it.

Food Network show host Sunny Anderson left a very gracious comment on a blog post where I said some not-so-nice things about her employer, her colleagues, and well, her. She was sweet, engaging and complimentary of my daughter. What a class act. Hats off to you, Sunny.

This might sound like butt-kissing of the highest order, but it's a good lesson for me. This is why I, as a rule, don't like diary-style blogs. It's too easy for folks to make sweeping generalizations and pick on celebrities -- the blogger has to answer to no one and gets to remain anonymous and high and mighty from his/her sweatsuit on the couch. (I write this now wearing boxer shorts, brown socks and slippers. I am that jerk).

I'm not nearly as gracious as Sunny. I remember seeing negative comments from idiots like myself insulting my dad's book or my younger brother's old TV show and making real efforts not to come out with defensive guns blazing. What the hell do they know, I'd think. In fact, I maybe didn't show much restraint, if I recall. It never ends well.

This is why I could never be a "stick-it-to-'em" style newspaper columnist. The first upset call I'd get, I'd be backpedaling so fast the gears would shoot sparks. I just don't like people being mad at me. Call me soft, call me safe, I don't care. Saying mean things in a blog is easy. Too easy. And tacky as hell.

So Sunny, if your google alerts alerted you to this one, allow me to apologize. You are clearly doing something you love, and doing it extremely well. That's a blessing. And you also taught me a valuable lesson in grace. Thoughtful, charitable responses like yours are what I'd like to teach my daughter. A quick laugh is easy, but a kind word is character building.

Bravo.

3 comments:

  1. So glad I found your blog! I'll be following you. I don't post as often as I should, but I have one too. I miss you a lot. Maybe someday I can come up to visit you and that adorable child of yours! Tell Greg I say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, google alert didn't find you, i did. :-) i take the time often to google my name under blogs. mostly because i blog and love food, so if someone is out there blogging and my name shows up, chances are we have something in common and i'd just like to say thanks for watching or something. i also see some of the anger and nastiness out there and it really doesn't bother me, but i don't think that's what you had on your post. you were expressing your real feelings and frustrations. i'm totally not offended, i don't even know when i said the phrase that made you go crazy lol. but what i do know, is for you to have heard it more than once, means you gave me a try, for that i'm appreciative. like i said, bigger fish to fry and i actually believe every mom deserves a good vent moment - every day or so!! :-). take care and i don't want you to feel all "big brother" so, i'll leave you to raising that cutie pie june!

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting, and a good "lesson" for sure.
    Also as a side-note, I love the name June for a little girl. I've always considered it as a future daughter's name, because it's my birth month.

    http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete